Comment on page
From the Start
the story so far... 🌱
My name is Alex He. I was born during Autumn / Fall of 1998 in Melbourne, Australia.
- I went to public school and started a year late.
- I was raised by two hard working immigrant parents and was the designated translator for the family - often signing my own school forms, ssh.
- My father was strict when it came to education and would teach me mathematics and English after school which helped me get ahead of the class early on. In Year 3, my parents enrolled my brother and I in tuition programs which I can't say I enjoyed at the time. However now looking back I recognise that they bolstered my foundations and probably contribute to my overall confidence when it comes to learning new things.
- I had school for six days a week as my Saturdays would involve reluctantly going to Chinese Language schooling - which most ABCs (a local abbreviation for Australian-born Chinese) were forced to attend. I disliked attending school on a weekend and often treated it as a social outing as there were many like-minded kids.
- Growing up I had a decent amount of Lego at home, most of which was of the Bionicles line. I played a lot of video games, namely the mainline Pokémon series - emulating the earlier titles (pre-4th gen.) using VisualBoyAdvance which I would share with the other kids at school as if I were some kind of dealer.
- I also played games like Club Penguin, RuneScape and MapleStory, making anonymous friends online.
- I attribute an early introduction to the concept of supply and demand entirely to RuneScape.
- I recall hiding my Nintendo DS behind music sheets because I was so into Final Fantasy IV, playing it in-between intervals of piano practice - yes, I see now how this was a dumb idea.